Sunday, 15 April 2012

#6 Reflection on learning



Before the semester commenced, Tanisha called me up one day to discuss about the modules we would be taking for that semester. She was particularly interested in ES2007S. She told me that her friend had taken the course in the previous semester and had learnt many interesting communicative skills. I immediately cultivated an interest to take up this module. Besides I thought that it would be fun to take up a module with my best friend.

Only when I started attending classes did I realise that fun was just an understatement. The class was tremendously engaging and exciting. Brad and the entire class made my entire semester very colourful and vibrant. I looked forward to class because this is probably one of the first classes in NUS that I attended where I could express myself freely.

I learnt something very important from my peer teaching session. Tanisha and I were very excited to present during our peer teaching session. This was because we had put in alot of hardwork to prepare for it. We also hoped that we would be able to deliver confidently and impress Brad and the class. This was especially difficult given that we wanted to take up Brad’s challenge of not using PowerPoint slides at all during the peer teaching session. We substituted PowerPoint slides with games, drawings and videos.

Unfortunately our peer teaching session was affected by a technical glitch. The videos did not produce sound and since there were no subtitles explaining the videos, the class could not comprehend our presentation. Therefore it was not surprising that the class gradually started losing their interest. I found Tanisha and myself losing our confidence due to the fact that the class was getting restless. However we continued to try to engage the audience.



Perhaps it came as a relief when Brad told us that there was insufficient time and that we had to continue presenting the next week. We were extremely devastated that we did not perform as we hoped we would. However our ever kind Brad told us not to worry too much, to cheer up and that things would be much better if we fixed the technical glitch.

At the next lesson, we replayed our videos (with sound thankfully!!!) and we sensed that the audience was more engaging this time round. I felt very happy and was extremely grateful to Brad for having believed in us. The encouragement and advice he gave helped us to perform hundred folds better at the second part of our peer teaching.

Through this incident, I learnt that during a presentation, the smallest fault can affect the audience, in terms of their response, enthusiasm and participation. Therefore we must always ensure that we have back-up plans lest technology does not work on the big day of the final presentation.

Lastly, I would like to thank the Ariele, Xi Min, Zi Hao, Pamela, Gladys, Jian Min, Mercia, Tanisha, Joel, Kristyn for giving me critical comments to help me  improve on my mistakes. I would also like to thank my dearest group TeamTitus, Titus, Jacky and Eileen for supporting me throughout this semester and being there for me when I needed you guys the most. Last but not least, I would like to thank Brad Franklin Blackstone for his unceasing encouragement and for just being a dear old man who cared sincerely for all of us. The lessons that Brad taught me will be difficult to forget because he infused practicality and fun together with life’s important elements. I will definitely miss you allJ

17 comments:

  1. Hi Loshini!

    I was impressed with your choice of not using ppt slides as visual aids. It was really a bold decision, and definitely a risk well-taken. I thought that you and Tanisha made really good peer teachers. Throughout the 13 weeks of lessons, you were the kindest with your words, to us. You were very encouraging even though others might be critical at some point. It was lovely learning with you, and the class! All the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dearest girl:) I was kind with my words because all of you were really good!

      Delete
  2. Hi Loshini!

    I really enjoyed your team's peer teaching! You seemed to prepare really well: from the activities to the attire (and I can still recall the "why this kolaveri kolaveri" :D). I know that the situation was troublesome for you when the video could not run well. However, you managed to handle the situation in a calm and confident manner. I think that is one important takeway from this class: ability to handle problems. We are given many tasks, each with its own problems. At first, we were nervous and panic when we faced those problems. However, we gradually became calmer and more confident when we find ourselves in a not so easy situation. Thank you for being my blogging buddy, sista!! ;D I will miss your cannot-stop-talking-ness..

    Merciacanstoptalking
    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thanks Merciacanstoptalking, I was so honoured that you chose me as your blogging buddy. I hope I managed to help you!

      Delete
  3. Hey Brudder!

    Funny how you would mention your peer teaching experience, I guess it must have been one of the first significant milestones this semester! Actually I think that Tanisha and yourself handled the theme of intercultural communication rather effectively! Your theme was so interactive and dynamic and I felt that your peer teaching actually did justice to it, you really engaged the class on essential aspects of intercultural communication and made us laugh our socks off with your "to-do" list.

    As your classmate, blog group mate, OP group mate and brudder, I have had the pleasure of knowing you better and see firsthand how beneficial professional communication really is. I second Kristyn's opinion, that rather than being critical to the work of others, you would always have this ability of motivating the person and at the same time let them know where they can improve. I was one of your benefactors, especially from the group proposal.

    Also, I've been very encouraged by your attitude towards education in this course. I know that this semester hasn't been the time of your life, and that you have many things on your plate that are vying for your attention. I'm just so moved that you would prioritize us above these demands, even though I expressed my disapproval on your emphasis. (Remember I offered to lighten your workload? xP )

    Thank you so much for giving me the pleasure of knowing an awesome brudder! Please keep in touch alright!

    Sincerely
    Brudder

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brudder you are the one I love the most in the entire class! LOL. You are such a sweet person:) Thanks for being there for me when I needed you brudder. I am really gonna miss you:)

      Delete
  4. Hi Loshini!

    I really enjoyed your peer teaching as it was engaging and very different from the usual presentation=) it is true that we can't prevent technical glitches but I think you dealt with the situation quite well. You tried to sum up what the characters were saying at the end of the video when the sound system was not working, which I thought was useful.

    I enjoyed working with you for our proposal=) you managed to complete your tasks despite your busy schedule and other project commitments~ hope you'll have better group mates in future than the one you complained about=)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen I hope this is the last of my bitter experiences with bad groups LOL!

      Delete
  5. Hi Loshini,

    Thanks for being part of my ES2007S learning experience. Your random comments (about the one who shall not be named) did brighten up the class.

    Regarding your peer teaching session, I respect that you and Tanisha tried to (almost) do without the use of PowerPoint slides. Although the class was not very responsive initially, I'm glad both of you persevered and delivered the lesson well towards the end. With all the experience we have gathered, I'm sure your lesson would be much better if your could do it again.

    Anyway, I just want to thank you once again for being part of one of my most enjoyable classes in NUS. Thank you and all the best in your future undertakings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Loshini,

    ...'dear "old" man,' huh? Well there's goes your mark of A Triple Plus! (so much for our discussions of audience awareness)

    More seriously, this is a wonderful bit of story-telling as final blog post. I like the way you start with the discussion between you and your bff, and then carry us readers through a detailed tour of your peer teaching. I'm sorry that glitch in the tech occurred; but look at it this way, you are now a satire richer for it!

    What's also great about this post is that your anecdote about the peer teaching captures in a nutshell what ES2007S hopes to impart: a challenge to students, to push themselves, to get out of the comfort zone and to make new strides in communicating. You and Tanisha did exactly that, and you did the same with your project group. In fact, I saw you and the others doing that during nearly every class, in mock interviews and elevators tests, etc., and yes, even in the blogging and facebook exchanges when dealing with unforeseen comments.

    You played a huge part, Loshini, in making this an exceptional class, in bringing a dynamic to our group that is only occasionally found even in small tutorial sections. When I try to pin down exactly what you injected, I think the phrase "willingness to pleasantly engage" might capture it: you actively and pleasantly engaged each person you worked with, as you did with each topic and assignment set before you. (There might have been only one social lapse in that engagement, but I'm not gonna go there....)

    In any case, thank you very much for all your contributions, Loshini. And all the best in your future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brad. I apologise for the blatant mistake I did, unknowingly of course;) I was supposed to say that Brad is a dear youthful man, not a dear old man. LOL! Thank you for all your lessons and critical comments which have helped me improve on my mistakes. I am definitely going to miss you very much. Let us meet up with TeamTitus for lunch soon:) Hasta la vista Brad;)

      Delete
  7. Hello Loshini!

    You brought up some of the sentiments that I had going into ES2007S. When I first saw the email, I signed up knowing full well the benefits I would gain from it for my future career. It was after the first lesson that I realised, this was actually going to be a fun module and that for once, in stark contrast to most other NUS modules prior to ES2007S, there was no right or wrong answer and I had the freedom to express my opinion. It's an exciting thought as you almost never get that chance in an engineering course.

    And I would like to thank you as well! You have inspired me a lot. From your mock interview performance and your presentations, I feel like I have a better picture of what I am working towards. I really hope to build up the charisma that you exude so naturally!

    P.S. Just thought you should know, thanks to your peer teaching, I found that kolaveri song ringing in my head in the middle of a mid-term. Noooooot very useful. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no Ariele! I hope you did not write Kolaveri in your paper!!!LOL

      Delete
  8. Hello Loshini!

    I thought you and Tanisha handles the peer teaching well! Attending your "lesson" was akin to attending Brad's lesson because the style was so similar. I felt really comfortable during your peer teaching! It didn't feel like a lecture or whatnot.

    And like Ariele, you have inspired me as well. You speak so eloquently! Even with much practice, I don't think I can do as well as you. And I realized whenever you answer a question in class, you'll go "ok, ....", it makes it seems like you know a lot haha

    Thank you for being such a wonderful classmate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dearest:) I am not that good gladys. You are just being really sweet:)

      Delete
  9. Hi Loshini,

    All semester you were hyped as a great story-teller, and I wasn't impressed in case you stopped telling great stories I've come to enjoy! You never did and I remained the same as ever but more certain than ever about a good beginning, middle and end. It says something a lot about how I view you and your storied abilities to know what is good from you but not be impressed! Few other people command such impressive respect from me apart from perhaps Brad and a few arts and social sciences professors from NUS. Does that make sense Loshini? I hope you see what I mean...

    Regardless though of whether others found the stories lacking in before-and-after agreement, as I detected in some comments put forth by guests and classmates, even Brad himself, you were always one heck of a story-teller. That cannot be pushed over!

    I'm glad you felt all-round enjoyment and freedom of expression in and around the course through all the various learning and communication channels, is already an achievement well done because of that. That should encapsulate what ES2007s represents and you missed these as well as the strong relationships forged. That bodes well for happy memories and a fulfilling self.

    Finally you felt you learned lesson from a technical glitch and made that into simple something with a beginning, middle and end---and one with also a simple but conclusive personal lesson. That is something I can definitely take away from you, if you don't mind, because I can never write or express as simple and straightforward my ideas as you do, and I might have need of that these days as Brad weeps over about recently.

    At the end of the day, when the dust settles, Loshini comes out and tells a wonderful account. What could be more timely?


    Cheers and best of luck after!

    ReplyDelete